Thursday, August 9, 2007

The best laid plans...

Well it had been my intention to plough through 3 days worth of 30 day challenge material each day in order to catch up after being offline for a week, but that hasn't exactly gone to plan so far - having only completed day one yesterday and here it is noon on my day two and I've only just completed watching and listening and writing stuff down. But here goes my summary for Day Two of the Thirty Day Challenge.

Today's lessons were all about the getting of ideas, and also what markets to avoid. It makes sense that a neophyte like myself would not attempt to try his hand at marketing products and services for highly competitive niches - a very small fish in a very big ocean. No, what is important is to learn how to make that $10 in the month, and once I've gone through the process once it will get easier and easier with each attempt, and perhaps then I can venture out of my little pond for deeper waters. So Ed wants me to come up with 7 ideas by the end of this day to take into day 3, and I must say that it's actually going to be hard to pick out only 7 ideas from the small mountain of niches I've already accumulated with a minimum of fuss. Ed's suggestions for looking for ideas include eBay Pulse, Technorati, Google Groups, Google Hot Trends and even Yahoo Answers. I will be having a look through those, but I spotted on the 30 Day challenge forums a thread where people such as me have listed sites they have used to scour for ideas - and there really is a sea of places out there to search for ideas, and once you start looking you really do begin racking up quite a list with not much effort. Now, whether the ideas I come up with are any good is another story, and one I'll obviously be finding out more about on upcoming training days, but the ideas are there and that's what's important.

As Ed put things (making very good sense to a newbie like me), the sites he suggests can be broken down thus:

eBay Pulse - Where you can find out what people are buying
Technorati - Where you can find out what people are writing about
Google Groups - Where you can find out what people are passionate about/interested in
Google Hot Trends - Where you can find out what people are searching for
Yahoo Answers - Where you can find out what people need help with

All are great avenues therefore, for developing products and/or services.

So far, however, I've only checked out the Random Niche Generator as well as various other blogs to get a list of around 60 niche ideas. I'm off now to search through Ed's suggestions, as well as eHow.com, MyGoals.com, NicheBrowser.com and TrendHunter.com, just for back up purposes. I intend to be doing this internet marketing gig for a long long time so too many ideas are surely never enough...

No comments: