Monday, August 13, 2007

Rehash, Repeat, Reinforce

As you can tell by the title Day nine of the challenge was mostly about going back over the lessons of yesterday. It seems that people were having a bit of trouble with the lesson and Google Trends itself, and so Ed made a car cast (podcast in a car) as well as a couple of videos reexplaining what Rob had taken us through yesterday. I think that due to my time with the Immediate Edge program, and having seen part of this technique used, I didn't have a problem understanding where Rob was coming from - but it's always good to have what I thought was going on confirmed, by Ed no less. The one other thing Ed mentioned, which I'd also heard about through The Immediate Edge, was that we need to think in terms of the magic number of 200 - that being only 1 in 200 people who visit your "money page" will actually part with their hard-earned money. This doesn't sound all that encouraging, I know...but if you're getting 100 searches a day for your key phrase, and you're at the top (or near the top) of Google, then it could really only be a matter of a couple of days before you get a sale, thereby completing the challenge. And if you think that each niche has several keyword phrases that can bring in traffic, then you might be able to accumulate more than 200 searches in a day with all your keyword phrases pointing to the same money page, thereby making at least one sale a day...and it can only get better the more time you spend on it. The crucial part of all this is to make sure your phrases are getting traffic, by going through the market research steps as laid out by Ed and the team. As Rob Somerville put it, it takes you just as long to create a site for a term that is getting searches, as it does for one that isn't, so why waste that time on a term that isn't when some simple market research can confirm it for you? I can only probably see a dip in motivation if, once on my own, I'm unable to find another niche that brings in a healthy amount of traffic - but I have an ever increasing number of niche ideas to work with, and I realise that a lot of it at the start is going to be trial and error. Sure, I may have done the market research, I may see there is plenty of traffic for my keyword phrase, and so I create a site to sell a product...but if my site then stinks I won't make a sale no matter how many people are dropping in for a look-see...so down the track, when sites are being built and tested, we'll be able to see what works and what doesn't - and I'm sure that will be one of the many things left to go through by Ed and the gang, to make the process even easier. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Ed did say that at this point we should be thinking about only taking 2 of our niches on to the next phase, to put more focus on them. I'm not sure what the next phase is, but seeing as I've already whittled it down to 3 niches through the market researching, I might as well take all 3 through for now and I can always get rid of one if the work in the next phase is too much for 3 niches.

Bring on Day 10!

No comments: